The library is a modern well-stocked area for both students and staff. It is extremely busy and well used and can accommodate around 100 students. Access to the Internet is available through 56 multimedia machines. The library provides services such as the loan of books and other non-book materials, for example DVD’s and audio visual equipment. There is also a selection of daily newspapers, monthly magazines and subject related periodicals. Use of the library is wide ranging and reflects its aim to be the central point of information for the college, to provide resources for recreation and enjoyment and to support students and staff in their studies. Library staff members are always on hand to help and they work in close liaison with teaching staff to ensure the resources on offer match the curriculum needs.
The library houses approximately 10,000+ items, with extensive provision made for all subjects taught within college, with multiple copies of titles in high demand. There is a widespread range of fiction books providing a variety of reading for all levels as well as the text books used for specific subject areas. There is also a Careers Library available for students to peruse. Members of Staff have access to a variety of books within the Professional Development area of the Staff Library.
Newspapers & Magazines
A wide range of titles are available to support subject areas, including review magazines specifically aimed for 6th form and GCSE students. The Library subscribes to a selection of weekly and monthly magazines for interest and pleasure reading, such as Top Gear, Four Four Two, BBC Focus and National Geographic. We also take delivery of National and Local Newspapers including, The Guardian, The Telegraph, and The Leicester Mercury.
Audio – Visual Equipment
The Library holds an array of DVDs, which are subject based and for pleasure viewing, and available to borrow by both students and staff. A wide range of equipment is available, from tape recorders to digital cameras. Although equipment is normally loaned to members of staff, students may be given written authority by member of staff, to allow them to loan equipment. The Library manages a television recording service for staff, which enables them to use current, up to date information within their subject syllabuses.
- The Library is open to members of the College for the borrowing of books and other items.
- Student and Staff Smartcards are used as your Library Card, and authority to borrow resources.
- All books and resources are the responsibility of the borrower to whom they are issued and remain so until they are returned.
- Books not returned by the Due Date, are subject to a charge. The current fine rate is 10p a day.
- The damage, defacing or marking of library books or other library property is strictly forbidden. Anyone suspected of damaging library property will be reported to the Key Stage Managers.
- All bags must be kept in the cupboards provided or on the floor. No-one is permitted to eat or drink in the Library.
- All mobile phones must be switched to silent before entering the Library and calls must be taken outside.
- Any inappropriate behaviour by a student, will be reported to the Key Stage Managers.